Monday, April 9, 2012

Get Wisdom

Today I begin an ever so brief look at Proverbs, to make observations according to what I am able to see in a read through each chapter. I am an expert in nothing, including the Wisdom Books of Holy Scripture. But I do want to be wise. The only other option is to be foolish. And if my effort may help anyone else also seeking to gain wisdom, then I give thanks. I'll try to give some New Testament cross references for those interested in seeing Old Testament truth in New Testament texts.

Proverbs -- Chapter 1

What I notice right away is that God speaks to us as children (v8-10). This is a recurring theme throughout Proverbs, from chapter 1 to 31. God comes to us as a Father, as the Perfect Parent, much like I think He approached Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden. You can see this in Genesis 3 when He comes to correct them following their rebellion. He comes to counsel and correct and hold out grace and truth (cf Jn 1:14-17). He also punishes, as any loving parent will (cf He 12:3-11). There is much here for Christian parents to see. Our parenting is to image God's care for His children. It's important that we raise our children in the fear of God, and in the instruction of the Lord (cf Ep 6). It's foolish to expect from our children what we have not deliberately taught them and modeled for them. And it's foolish to believe that our children are the exceptions that need no punishment. "He who withholds his rod hates his son. But he who loves him disciplines him diligently" (Pr 13:24). "Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child. The rod of discipline will remove it far from him" (Pr 22:15). I find it quite difficult to deliberately hurt my children, even for their own long term good. But I remember that faith in God's ways is required for all of life, the discipline of our children included. I can trust my feelings or I can trust God's Word. Trusting my feelings damages my children.

Also, it seems clear to me that our Heavenly Father means for us to live full lives; that is, lives full of good things. The best things may be immaterial, like those held out to us in v2-7; things such as wisdom, instruction, insight, understanding, prudence, discretion, learning, guidance, and the fear of the LORD. Other of the good things include the good warnings of Scripture, such as those found in v24-32. God loudly, clearly, and repeatedly calls out to His creatures to listen to Him and kindly but sternly warns us of the consequences of ignoring Him (cf He 2:1-4).

Finally, God is the designer of life. So it only makes sense to learn of Him and trust Him and heed Him (cf Mt 11:27-30). This is wisdom. It is the fool that "refuses to listen" when God has "stretched out His hand" (v24). It is the fool that ignores His counsel and reproof (v25); that hates knowledge and refuses to fear its Source (v29). It should be taken to heart that the wisdom God offers is a wisdom learned. Work is required -- the work of thought and prayer. It is not the mentally stupid who miss the wisdom of God. It is the mentally lazy and/or distracted (v32; cf He 2:1-4 & 5:11-6:3).


No comments:

Post a Comment