Thursday, April 19, 2012

Get Wisdom -- Post 3, And a Bit More

First, thanks to my friends in SC for a good week of fellowship. Men growing in Christ-likeness who are willing to spend time with me are inestimable gifts from God. Second, extra thanks to JB for the mild rebuke regarding my sporadic blogging practices and for introducing me to The Trappe Door -- a better than great bar in downtown Greenville (I recommend the Chimay Burger). Third, thank you to my youngest brother Chris who always knows how to show me a good time. We are so different in temperament (that's good for him!), but so similar in interests. And thanks to my sister Tami and her eldest son Gabe who went out of their way to meet me for dinner. It was good to see you both. And finally to my old and loyal friend Toby and to the other pastors of Renewal Church who made the whole trip happen -- you have my sincere gratitude.

One of the things I often pray for myself and have asked my wife to pray for me is that I will be made into one who often refreshes the saints (2 Ti 1:16; Phm 1:7; etc).  Praise to God for this most recent trip in which He had others refresh me. Grace & peace to you all. 

It is fitting that I save the final mention for my grandmother Clara who is always entertaining and very kind to me. Even in that wheelchair you look great. 

Now, to the Proverbs.
 
Proverbs -- Chapter 3

This might be the most popular chapter of Proverbs, because of the often quoted verses 5-6. There is, however, much more to this text than those two wonderful verses. I wish, for example, there was more attention given to the next verse (7), "Be not wise in your own eyes. . ." We're told to trust the LORD (v5), and now we're told not to trust ourselves. This is the way of wisdom.

God again comes to us as the good Father (v1; See also vs11 & 21) and urges us to remember His words. Then He tells us why -- "For length of days and years of life and peace they will add to you" (v2). Good parents will normally give their children the "why" behind their commands. The thoughtless parent does the "because I said so" routine. Useless. Even God is humble enough to explain Himself; that is, make sense for us of His reasons when we are able to understand Him. Of course there are times when we cannot understand Him and our children cannot understand us, no matter how we try to explain. There's a lesson there also.

I notice also from verse 1 that God desires a heart-keeping of His word (cf v3), not just an external adherence. This is a theme throughout Scripture (Dt 4:8-10; Is 6:9-11; Ho 7; Mt 22:35-39).

In verses 5-8 we discover that trusting God leads to direction, healing, and refreshment. Other of His benefits are named and/or implied, including favor, honor, longer life, peace, success, plenty, blessing, riches, pleasantness, security, soul life, steadiness, courage, rest, and confidence. Having mentioned these, I also mention that the Proverbs are general truisms. The manifestations of God's blessings are varied. He governs their disbursement and all that has to do with it. Don't read the Proverbs as God's get rich quick scheme and/or guarantee of such things as good health and a problem-free existence. We know this is not what Solomon is teaching us as we look, for example, at vs11-12 in which we are told to trust God with our pain; and not just some generic pain, but the pain that God Himself brings upon us to produce holiness (Ja 1:2-4, 12; 1 Pe 1:3-9).

Finally, we're shown the source and worth of wisdom in v19-20, and some astounding warnings and promises in v32-35.


No comments:

Post a Comment