Tuesday, March 27, 2012

What Should I Do? Thoughts on Career and Decision-Making

Below is part of an email from a friend:

If you are open to fielding blog topics, and if you think it would connect with other readers, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts (and rebukes) as they relate to vocational calling, and to ministry calling (if you see any differences between the two). You could also just call this making decisions, especially those that come with multiple options (A, B, C, D, E, etc.).

It's a big topic, and people and life are messy, but some running questions...
  • Do you see both objective (outside of us--affirmation of gifts, skills; encouragement from others, etc.) and subjective (inside of us--passions, desires, hatreds, etc.) elements to the process?
  • If so, would you weigh one element stronger than the other? Do you see an appropriate biblical balance? For example, a local pastor visiting BCS last week urged us sem. guys to consider 90% objective / 10% subjective ratio. He wasn't trying to be numerically accurate as much as just wanting to get the impression across that we should rely heavily on others.

I answer:

Yes, the topic is big and people and life are messy. But there is I think substantial help for us in Scripture. Here's what comes immediately to mind:

1. The Scriptures affirm both objective and subjective reasons for doing what we do. For example, when the Apostle Paul wrote to Timothy on qualifying elders, he began with the candidate's subjective desires (1 Ti 3:1). Peter refers to the same (1 Pe 5:2). However, the Apostles also required observable objective evidence of a man's gifting for the role (1 Ti 3; Tit 1).  In addition, I would point us to Ecclesiastes which teaches us to receive from God the ability to enjoy our labor and the fruit of it. This implies that our work is potentially subjectively enjoyable and that our fitness for it contributes to our objectively being fruitful in it. Clearly God has designed each of us with particular strengths. And since God wastes nothing, perhaps we should seek vocations that employ those abilities which will contribute to our being fulfilled in "the tasks God has given us to do under the sun" (see Ec). Also, since what is good for one part of the body is good for the whole body (1 Co 12),  my fulfillment in my work will positively affect others. I could trace some of those ways, but I don't want to here.
2. Understand the purpose of work. Work is good as we see in the early chapters of Genesis that God is the first Worker and a part of bearing His image is to work. Work is a pre-Fall part of the flawless creation order. The Apostle Paul tells the Ephesian Christians to work so that they have something to give away (Ep 4:28). He also tells us to work to provide for our families (1 Ti 5:8) and he rebukes those who will not work (1 Ti 5:8; 2 Th 3:11). It is not necessary to work for money for your work to be honorable. Paul did much of his ministry for free, working as a tent maker to provide for himself (1 Co 4 & 9). And much of the work done by the noble woman described in Proverbs 31 is not for income. It's for a well-ordered and well-cared for home and family. I say all of this to say that while God will give us the ability to enjoy our labor and the fruit of it (see Ec), our jobs are not designed to be all-satisfying or the primary source of our gladness.
3. We normally don't know the particulars of what God is doing. Therefore, we can't trace in any detail how He uses us in our work. So I would strive not to go overboard in my introspection concerning these things. I think doing what we like and are good at is a fine thing as long as we don't close ourselves off to entering into new fields if we are led there by God. God is up to ten thousand things that we do not see (Mk 4:26-29); and His ways are inscrutable (Ro 11:33-36).
4. One big way God leads us is by the counsel and testimony of the church who affirms our strengthens and reveals our weaknesses. We also get guidance by God's manipulation of circumstances. For example, when the Apostle Paul wanted to go into Bithynia he could not because "the Spirit of Jesus did not permit him". I don't know all that means, but clearly Paul was stopped by God from moving into a work in Bithynia. Other times Paul was allowed into a city and was fruitful. Sometimes he was allowed into a city but was quite unfruitful. We don't control much of anything. I say this to say I think it's fine to knock on lots of doors of opportunity and see which ones are opened to us. I would simply pursue my interests in the ways I am able and pray for God's work to get me where He wants me. And I would listen to those who know me best when I ask them for advice on vocational pursuits.
5. The will of God gets worked out in a relationship, not on a road map. What I mean is that the Bible would urge us to trust God, do what we know to do, and not get paralyzed with anxiety over making the "right" choice. The kind of decision making we're discussing is not in the moral category. It's not right to be a preacher and wrong to be something else. It's not right to go to that city and wrong to go to another. The call of the Christian life is always to trust God in all things. Again, live up to what you know and God will get you where He wants you, and probably for purposes you will never fully appreciate or even hear of. And remember that the foundational work of God is one of character, not action. He means to make us like Jesus (Ro 8:29-30). When Paul wants to give a summary statement of the work of God for the elect, He speaks of our sanctification, not our vocation. And God can make us, and will make us, conform to the character of Christ no matter where we find ourselves and in what field of labor. We should rest in that.
6. Make a decision. At the end of the day you'll simply have to choose something. Use your mind. Pray and think. You know yourself. Or as Solomon would say it, "Ponder the path of your feet, then all your ways will be sure" (Pr 4:26).
7. Realize there is to be a loving otherness to your work choices. This is true because your work has to do with people besides yourself, particularly your immediate family and your church family. This is basic to the neighbor love commanded by Jesus and the Apostles (Mt 22:39; Php 2:4; 1 Co 13). Do what is good for others. That's what is good for you. And, now changing direction a bit, we must consider the church. The church and our weekly gatherings are primary ways by which God sanctifies His people (this assumes our gatherings are ordered according to Scripture, which I know is not a safe assumption). We are designed to conform to Christ within a community of like-minded believers of diverse abilities. This reality is affirmed throughout the Bible. So for me to think I am of a kind that can afford to miss gathering regularly ("regularly" normally means "weekly") is not a thought the Bible affirms. Nor is it biblical to assert, through some wrong sense of humility, that my absence from church gatherings does not hurt my church; that what I bring to the church family will not be missed. The Bible clearly teaches us contrary to this (in 1 Co 12 and He 10 for example). So to work a job that demands I regularly miss the Lord's Day gatherings of Christ's church is, I think, unwise.There may be some exceptions to this (fire fighters, police officers, medical doctors, etc) in which case I would urge weekly gatherings of some kind with at least a remnant of the church body (small groups, mid-week gathering, etc).

There is more to say for sure. But hopefully this bit helps.

"In all labor there is profit, But mere talk leads only to poverty."
Proverbs 14:22-24

2 comments:

  1. Brent: Thanks for taking the time to think and write about this. It was probably helpful in many ways that "you will never fully appreciate or even hear of." That said, I did want to mention a couple thoughts:

    First: While I'd seen the Bible's affirmation of both the objective and subjective elements before, I hadn't yet considered the potential benefit that subjective enjoyment of a vocation can have for others. This seems true in experience, and true in Scripture. Many of Paul's statements seem like they could have only been made by someone who had a particular delight in the calling God had given him--Phil 1:24-26, 1 Thess 3:5 come to mind. This sort of understanding adds another loving, others-centered dimension to the evaluation of personal desires. That is helpful.

    Second: Having thought about these points for a few minutes (particularly the ones related to God's activity), "Where does God want me right now?" feels like a better question to be asking of myself than "What should I do?" For sure, it's just the same question from another perspective. But it's perspective, in my own experience, that gets lost when needing to make a decision of any significance. "Where does God want me right now?" (a perspective I'm picking up on several of your points) helps me prioritize praying "for God's work to get me where He wants me." I think of Israel's leadership having to make a decision on the Gibeonites (Josh 9). They asked all the right questions, but failed to ask the right person. What if they had sought the Lord?

    Thanks again for thinking and writing.

    Objectively & subjectively helped,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts Chris. I find them helpful in furthering my understanding of God and His ways. You have a good mind.

    ReplyDelete