Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Reform Means Conflict

If you are worshiping peace, you are not imitating Jesus (or the Apostles, or the Reformers, or even a faithful Christian parent).

"Do not think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I have not come to bring peace, but a sword. For I have come to set a man against his father, and a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law. And a person's enemies will be those of his own household. Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. And whoever does not take his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it. Whoever receives you receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me."
Jesus the Lord, Matthew 10:34-40

"You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment. And the second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these two commandments depend all the Law and the Prophets." 
Jesus the Lord, Matthew 22:37-40 

"If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceable with all." 
The Apostle Paul, Romans 12:18

"Peace if possible. Truth at all costs."
Martin Luther

The New Testament (mostly the Apostle Paul, who stirred up much trouble) is loaded with exhortations to pursue and guard peace and unity within the Church. And while the exhortations stand, Paul's life and practice was to simultaneously instigate significant unrest in his efforts to clarify and guard the gospel. Be like that, or be an idolater. There is no reform without conflict.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment